Does swinging faster make you a better hitter?
My answer to that is hardly. You see I have been in the hitting and personal training business for over 20 years and I have seen and heard it all. So what is the focus now a days? Get your swing faster and quicker! Bat speed, bat speed, and more bat speed! Even though there are a lot of tricks on how to get your bat speed up (core muscle training etc.). How come hitting has been down the last 5 years or so? Go ahead and blame it on the BB Core bat, but major league hitting is the worst it has been since 1972 and their bigger and stronger than ever without worrying about a bat change. So what he heck is going on out there? Is bat speed the thing everyone should be focusing on?
Well the numbers don’t lie folks. If you do something and then get worse, do you keep doing it? Seems to me the answer is yes, and more focus needs to go to right technique than bat speed training.
When you think of bat speed, you are mostly trained to get your swing to be as short as you can and as quick as you can while being as strong as you can right! Well if you go to a trainer and he is busting up your core muscles and building your muscles around your butt and you go out and try to swing the bat as fast as you can with your hands then what is the use?
Some hitters really do think they are using their body in the swing when they rotate and finish high after the swing. The reality is that if you use your hands to start your swing, then all the strong core and butt muscles are left out of the equation. So let’s get perturbingly real here! The best hitters have long swings that look short!
What? Yes, they use their hips to trigger their swing while the hands whip behind. To the human eye it looks like the hands are flying to the ball and the swing is ferociously quick. Well we know by now that the human eye is deceivable and we get deceived over and over and wonder why we don’t have the good eye. Remember hitting is going down and we are looking at more video than ever right? So even know those major league hitters that finish high and come all the way around to the back leg to watch their ball hit the upper deck like Mo Vaugn; their swing is long but quick at the same time!
Wasn’t Ted Williams the one who said that he swings like a golfer where he holds the bat loose and lets the hips buggy whip the hands around naturally? That is a long swing up until the point where the hitters hips are trained to pop like a martial artist. Then it looks short!
Ted Williams is being proven correct because he said until this concept is understood, hitters will be light years behind their own god given potential. This is the same reason he went to his grave pissed. Nobody wanted to listen, but then again his skills and wisdom might have been so super if more people would have known.
Does swinging faster make you a better hitter?
- Father Son Relationship in Baseball — The father & son relationship many times depends on the success in sports competition. In baseball, the father and son develops a relationship and eventually start to work on skills together. Hitting is the one skill that gets very tricky when it comes to the father & son bond. Unfortunately, as a hitting coach for [...]
- Don’t Get Spell Bound by Colleg... — Attention College Hitters! Do not get spell bound by your coaches when it comes to hitting! Usually good to great players in high school end up playing college ball. College baseball is an exciting atmosphere to play in. The fields are better, the travel is more exciting, and the way you train is much more [...]
- Key to Hitting Off-Speed Pitches — Learning how to hit off-speed pitches! Out of all the hitters from high school to the major leagues only about 5 percent can really hit. Why? Once the curve ball is introduced the game changes. The good little league or travel league hitter suddenly becomes the average to below average hitter because the off speed [...]
- Learn How to Hit Through Hitting Inst... — Key to Learning to Hit Better with Online Hitting Instruction Videos I have many baseball hitting instruction videos and manuals that I sell online about my own hitting system and for years I contemplated on whether I should make any or not. The reason being was because I was not totally convinced the hitting instruction [...]
- How Hitting Coaches are Judged — You want to be a hitting coach someday? If you are a hitting coach and you look the part you will get immediate respect. Looking the part is very important. How do you look the part? Have a good sound resume of playing experience and network to find the right friends to help get you [...]